Skylight Installation Cost – Skylights are special kings of windows that are built into the roofs of houses in order to allow natural sunlight to flow in. They are available in a wide variety of styles, energy efficiency ratings and shapes. They can either be installed as a type of passive heating strategy, or for aesthetic purposes.
Types of Skylights
There are three main types of skylights which are explained below:
- Fixed Skylights – Fixed skylights don’t open. They are the most common choice of skylights and are good for providing stairwells or rooms like attics with an extra amount of light.
- Tubular Skylights – These skylights are also referred to as sun pipes or light pipes and are composed of roof mounted domes which gather sunlight and sends it to circular openings in the ceiling, normally of 10 or 14 inches in diameter, by way of a reflective tube.
They are usually installed in hallways, closets, and small sized rooms as these skylights are small and circular shaped.
- Ventilating Skylights – These skylights can be opened, providing any room not only with natural sunlight, but also with fresh air. They are mostly installed in bathrooms and kitchens as they reduce moisture and improve the flow of air. These skylights can be opened as well as closed either manually, via automatic sensor, a motorized hand crank, or a remote control.
Find Local Skylight Installers Who Will Compete for Your Business
- When considering a new purchase, the size of a skylight should not exceed 5% of the entire floor area of a room with many windows.
- It should also not go over 15% of the entire area of the floor for rooms that do not have a lot of windows.
- The best time for west facing skylights to capture heat and sunlight is afternoon.
- East facing skylights are best for maximizing the effect of the morning heat and sunrays.
- Skylights that are south facing can be too hot for summers and are the best option for capturing sunrays in winter.
- Skylights that are north facing do not provide much heat, and are good for the provision of consistent light.
- As recommended by professionals, skylight slopes should be the same as the latitude of your residence and an additional 5 to 15 degrees.
Factors Determining Skylight Installation Cost
The installation of skylights with necessary materials can cost $338 and installation done without any materials can be priced at $232. Mentioned below are the factors that can have an impact of the costs on having skylights installed in a particular building.
- Type of Building – On an average, residential skylights cost $780 to be installed, based on the roof pitch and the number of storeys to a house. A steep pitch of a roof enhances risk factors and it is therefore harder to install skylights.
Skylights installed in business buildings can amount to an average of $806, but these last longer and are more durable. They are also mostly customized according to the specifications of each building.
- Material for Roofing – Some roofing materials may make for easy installations, while others can be very difficult to install and so the installation costs will greatly depend on this factor. On an average, skylights installed on metal roofs can cost $293 and those on a composition roof may cost $287, depending on its pitch.
On average, Skylight Installation on wood shake shingles may cost $313, while gravel and tar covered roofs can cost $304. An elegant copper roof can be installed with a skylight for $1,256 due to the highly priced copper material.
- Number of skylights – Several skylights can be installed in a day’s time. On an average estimate, one skylight system can be installed for $197, two can be installed for $279, and for a cost of $609, three skylights can be installed.
- Number of storys – The higher a building, the more the climb for Skylight Installation professionals, and therefore the higher the installation costs. An easily accessibly one story building can be equipped with a skylight for $230. Buildings with two storys require special tools and two people at a minimum, and installation can cost $335. Installation of skylights in three story buildings may cost up to $414 on an average.
Average Costs of Skylights
|TYPE OF SKYLIGHTS||COST RANGES|
|Fixed skylights||From $100 to $250 up till $500 to $1,000|
|Fixed skylights with installation charges||$400 to $1,500|
|Tubular skylight||$150 to $650|
|Tubular skylight with installation charges||$500 to $1,000 or more|
|Ventilating skylights||$250 to $2,000 or more|
|Ventilating skylights with installation charges||Up to $5,000 or more (for deluxe ventilation skylight)|