Wood Shake Roof Cost – Wood shakes are considered luxury roofing products that are used to enhance the visual appeal of the home and add value and unique beauty to it.
These do not boast the practicality of modern roofing materials like asphalt, but offer unmatchable advantages in term of aesthetic appeal and natural beauty. Builders and contractors particularly recommend wood shake roof because it beautifully complements a housing structure’s landscaping.
Different types of wood such as cedar, spruce, and treated pine are used to build a wood shake roof. Wood shakes are more expensive in comparison to the modern roofing materials, but they are also more durable. Roofs made from cedar are naturally resistant to water. Other types of wood can be sealed to improve moisture resistance and provide enhanced durability.
Benefits of Installing a Wood Shake Roof
Wood shake roofs are often priced higher than ordinary roofing materials because of the advantages they offer. Installing a wood shakes is a one-time investment that offers long-term benefits. Let’s have a look at some of the benefits offered by wood shake roofs.
- Aesthetic Appeal – From small cottages to modern wonders, wood shakes complement every house just perfectly. They are available in a variety of colors and textures that can enhance the beauty and curb appeal of just about any home.
- Insulation – Good-quality wood shake roofs have the highest insulation value, better than its substitutes such as asphalt, fiberglass, and laminate. Because of their insulation capability, wood shake roofs also reduce the air conditioning costs.
- Durability – Depending on the grading of the wood used, installation technique, and climate, wood shake roof may last for up to 30 to 40 years. They greatly resistant wind and act as a protector during storms.
Considerations of Installing a Wood Shake Roof
When considering installing a wood shake roof to your home, it is important to consider the budget and various factors that may increase or decrease the project cost. Wood shake roofs are considered premium roofing products and the vintage look and appeal they offer comes against an amount of money.
The cost of installing a wood shake roof is based on several key factors. Let’s have a look at them.
- Type of Material – As already mentioned, different types of wood are used to make wood shakes. The cost varies depending on the material you choose for your wood shake roof. Generally, wood shakes made from cedar are the most expensive of all types. Pinewood is also used to make to wood shakes. It is much more affordable but requires regular maintenance. The price also depends on the quality, color, and style of material. Wood shakes treated with weather-resistant products are generally more expensive as compared to untreated wood shakes.
- Complexity of Roof – Another factor that significantly affects the cost of project is the structure and complexity of roof. Low-pitched roofs with few dormers and peak require less time and effort to complete. The cost of installing wood shakes to these roofs costs lesser as compared to complex, steep roofs.
- Cost of Contractor – When working on your wood shake installation project, it is important to get estimates from at least 3 roofing contractors. Evaluate the quality of work done by the contractors and compare their fees. Also, roofing contractors have their busy and slow periods. Contractors tend to charge more in busy periods. Therefore, proper planning is necessary to take advantage of the competitive prices offered by contractors in slow periods of the year.
Installing Wood Shake Roof Cost
The total cost of a wood shakes installation project has several components, including the primary cost of a wood shake roof, labor cost, cost of materials and supplies needed for installation, and cost of renting the equipment used in the installation of a wood shake roof.
The following table presents the estimated prices of different components of a wood shake roof installation project.
|Retail cost of mid-grade wood shake roof||1 square foot||$4||$6
|Materials and supplies||1 square foot||$0.2||$0.4
There are some additional costs to consider as well. For example, if the roof is damaged to rotted, installation of new roofing material will require remodeling or repair of the existing cost. The cost of remodeling or repair may range from $1,000 to $10,000, depending on the complexity of the project.
This is a general guide about the cost of installing a wood shakes. The exact cost depends on various factors, which should be carefully considered by a buyer.