Tile Roof Cost – A tile roof can add a rich and elegant look to any home while adding a unique blend of durability, performance and aesthetics that is associated with it.
Benefits of Tile Roofs
Some advantages and benefits of tile roofs:
- Tile roofs are exceptionally long lasting. They can also resist insect boring and rotting.
- They are elegant in style and beautiful in appearance and can considerable enhance the aesthetic appeal and beauty of any house or building structure. They are also available in an abundance of designs and colors.
- They are a fire resistant material for roofing and can therefore help in fire prevention. They also have a class A fire rating.
- They are highly durable especially in extreme conditions for example during earthquakes and hurricanes.
- They are considered as a source of green building solutions.
- Tile roofs are helpful in the provision of air circulation and insulation and aids in keeping houses and homes warm and cozy during winters and cool in summers.
Types of Tile Roofs
There are two main types of tile roofs. These roofs are either constructed out of concrete or ceramic clay on a typical basis, but are also available in wood shingle, shake and slate replications.
- Concrete Tile Roofing – Concrete tile roofs have an average life of about 50 years. Though they are not as durable as their ceramic counterparts, they still are extremely attractive and cost lower. These tiles owe their origination to Bavaria, where they were made up of sand, water and cement mixture.
- Ceramic Tile Roofing – These roof tiles are also commonly known as clay roof tiles, and are called by this second name because of the material out of which they are developed. These ceramic tiles are shaped in a mold and are then baked into a kiln.
This mix is still among the main ingredients used today, but concrete tile roofing has been enhanced and improved in terms of texture, coloring, strength, and coating, due to technological advances.
This procedure is done at an extremely high temperature, which is why these tiles are superior in durability as well as strength. Ceramic tile roofs can last up to a staggering 100 years, though they are normally guaranteed for a range of 50 to 75 years.
Find Local Roofing Installers Who Will Compete for Your Business
Factors Affecting the Tile Roof Cost
Tile roofing costs can vary depending on the factors mentioned below:
- Size of the Roof – The largest factor that affects the cost of tile roofing is the size of the roof. Roof tiling costs are charged on the basis of per roofing square. An area of 100 square feet, that is, a ten by ten foot, is equivalent to one roofing square. The more the squares, the more the price charged for tiling a roof.
- Roof Slope or Pitch – Another important factor that determines the Tile Roof cost is the slope or pitch of a roof. An extremely steep roof which cannot be walked upon is more risky, and will require labor, safety precautions, and a greater amount of staging for the proper completion of the roof tiling process.
- Roof Complexity – Roofs with gables, peaks, dormers, hips, or valleys are more complex and the costs of installing tiles on roofs with complexities are much towards the higher end in comparison with simpler roof tops.
This is why roofs that are steep or the ones that have a high pitch are much more costly to get tiled as opposed to roofs with a low pitch.
Average Tile Roof Cost
|TYPE OF ROOF TILE||COST RANGE|
|Concrete roof tile (per square foot)||$5 to $10|
|Concrete roof tile (2,000 square foot roof)||$10,000 to $20,000|
|Ceramic roof tile (per square foot)||From $5 to $15 up till $15 to $30|
|Ceramic roof tile (2,000 square foot roof)||$10,000 to $60,000|
Tiles are heavy and at times, the structural support of homes needs to be upgraded so that the house is able to bear the additional weight of the heavy roof. In these instances, costs of $10,000 or more are likely to be incurred. Also, if houses are at a great distance from the tile source, freight charges can total up to a range from $600 to $1,000 or more, inclusive of the total cost.
All costs mentioned in this article are based on average estimates and the actual prices will vary in accordance with each factor that has an impact on the cost of a tile roof and your location.