Metal Roof Cost – Metal roofing materials are capable of being created into panels, individual shingles, or large sheets. They are beginning to gain more and more popularity as it is a building material of superior quality that paves the way for loads of benefits to home owners.
Benefits of Metal Roof Installation
Though metal roofing is a more costly option in comparison with asphalt shingles, metal is a better choice in terms of offering better overall value and here is why:
- Durability and Protection – Metal roofing is good at providing protection from adverse environmental conditions such as snow, rain, and strong winds. Their strength also makes for this roofing option to be highly durable.
- Long life expectancy –
Metal roofing doesn’t require much maintenance and usually is accompanied with a warranty of up to 30 to 50 years. It can also last up to 75 years or more.
- Heat Conduction – During the day, metal roofing can help save energy that is needed for air conditioning because it reflects radiant heat from sunlight, which in turn minimizes the midday heat gain. Metal’s reflective qualities deflect sunlight and are able to save about 40% on cooling costs in comparison with asphalt shingles.
- Eco-Friendliness – Metal roofing is durable, recyclable, and energy efficient; this is why it is vastly considered as a green building material option.
- Lightweight – Metal roofs are extremely light weight in comparison with tile and concrete roofing options.
- Fire Resistant – Metal roofs are non-combustible and are categorized as a class A fire rating, which means that this roofing option is the most fire resistant, further enhancing its protective qualities.
Considerations to Keep in Mind
When selecting a metal roof, the following considerations need to be kept in mind:
- Materials – he most common types of metal roofing materials are aluminum and steel; however, zinc and copper are also among popular choices. Copper and zinc are the most expensive of all materials and usually aluminum costs more than steel. Steel roofing, which is coated for better corrosion resistance, is priced almost the same as aluminum.
- Insulation – It should be noted that when metal roofs are installed, insulation also requires to be updated. Talking to professionals can give home owners ideas of what the professionals think is best for their homes.
- Market Changes – The prices of metal roofs can fluctuate during the year depending on the changes occurring in the market place.
- Roof Design and Slope – Roofs are designed in a variety of sizes and shapes and a simpler design will cost less than a more complexly designed roof. Slopes also need to be considered as steeper slopes will cost more because of the addition of safety and installation requirements.
- Labor Charges – Metal roof installations need to be done by professionals and different companies will charge different price ranges for the completion of a roofing project.
- Finishing and Style – When the material for metal roofing is decided upon, the next thing to consider is the finishing and style. Metal roofs can resemble and take the appearance of other materials such as cedar shakes, slate, asphalt shingles and clay tiles.Vertical panels of metal roofing which are available in a wide range of colors can give off a minimalist and sleek finishing. When selecting the choice of such standing seam roofing options, one thing to consider is whether a concealed fastener system should be chosen, which is a more costly metal roof cost option, or an exposed fastener system.
Metal Roof Cost
Though the actual metal roof cost can vary with the different types of materials used, installation complexities, location and other such factors, average costs of metal roofing are summarized in the table below:
[table “” not found /]
This metal roofing guide is only based on average estimate costs and the actual prices of metal roof installation will vary depending upon the considerations that are mentioned in this article.