Bathtub Resurfacing – People who do not want to take on an expensive bathtub renovating project can opt for bathtub resurfacing instead. Resurfacing one’s bathtub is perfect for individuals whose bathtub is void of any major structural, plumbing, and electrical issues. This means that the homeowner has no need to uproot the bathtub, but can provide their existing bathtub with a new look.
For instance, they can change the color of the bathtub or replace fixtures in the bathroom to give it a new appearance. However, bathroom in need for major repairs such as leaky pipes will need to go through a complete revamped look, as a usual resurfacing will not solve the repair issues. If that is not the case with your bathroom, you can go ahead and resurface your bathtub.
Steps to Resurface the Bathtub
Even though the steps of bathtub refinishing may vary from company to company, the steps below will give you an idea of how bathtub resurfacing works:
- The company will clean the bathtub and remove the fixtures and caulking
- They will then proceed to sand the bathtub to ensure that the protective coating applied to it later sticks firmly. In some instances, they might even perform acid etching.
- After the bathtub is sanded and dried, scratches, chips, and blemishes on the surface of the bathtub are filled.
- Next, they will apply the primer to the bathtub, but this solely depends on the current state of the bathtub. If the condition of the bathtub is worse for wear, they will apply three coats of primer.
- Once the primer completely dries, they will paint a shiny top coat on the bathtub.
- On the dry top coat, they will buff it to give it a smooth finish.
The professional will come to your house to perform all the aforementioned steps and most likely, it will take him/her only one day to complete the job. Since the bathtub does not need to be removed and taken to the shop for restoration, you will be able to use your bathtub again after a few hours.
What Are the Benefits of Bathtub Resurfacing?
One of the biggest benefits of tub refinishing is having bathtub that looks as if it was fully restored. However, this is not the only benefit you will get if you opt for bathtub resurfacing. You will also receive the following benefits:
- You will get to choose the color of the bathtub. If you had a new color in mind, you can ask the professional handling the bathtub resurfacing job to repaint it that color.
- You will be doing the environment a favor, as bathtub resurfacing is looked as an environment friendly choice in comparison to replacing a whole bathtub. How? By not throwing away your old bathtub for a new one, you are decreasing the demand for new materials and preserving landfill space.
- You will not have to go out your way to give your bathtub a new appearance, as bathtub resurfacing does not cost a lot of money.
Perhaps, the biggest advantage from all the three benefits mentioned above is bathtub resurfacing’s ability to provide you with a new bathtub at a cost-effective price, making it an inexpensive solution to your bathtub dilemma.
The Cost of Bathtub Resurfacing
The cost of bathtub resurfacing depends on the company you hired to perform the job, the condition your bathtub is in currently, and other factors. To give you an idea on how much it will cost you to resurface your bathtub, refer to this table below:
|The Cost for Hiring a Professional Company to Perform the Job||$250-$750|
|The Cost of Resurfacing the Bathroom Yourself||$60-$120|
|The Cost of Resurfacing an Entire Bathroom||$1,500-$4,000|
It is not advised you do it yourself, especially if you have never resurfaced a bathtub before. If you do intend to do resurface the bathtub yourself, you will have to go through the hassle of purchasing a refinishing kit, respirator, tape, paint, paintbrush, safety gloves, and drop cloth. Learn more here on “How to Refinish a Bathtub.”
If you want to play it safe, you should hire a professional company to resurface your bathroom. In the end, it will be your decision regarding which route you intend to take. It will also depend on your budget. You will have to calculate your budget to find out how much you are able to spend on resurfacing your bathtub.
Although it is advised that you go with a company who charges slightly higher than the minimum cost, as companies that charge low compromise on the quality of materials used to resurface the bathtub.